08 March, 2005

thebirthday

one week ago i celebrated my 26th birthday. celebrate is used quite loosely there, since i had to teach three of my four classes that day; actually, teach is used very loosely, since i just had a party in each class, justifying that action on the grounds of teaching birthday and party language. it worked quite well; i had told the kids to bring food, and they did--it was even mostly edible. i had digital pictures taken with each of my classes that day, but the only one that turned out in a way that i am currently able to post here was the one of my fifth grade class, who range from 11 to 13 years of age. they are quite a handful, and the last time we tried to have a party, on the day before the Chinese New Year holiday, they had entered into a pact to not talk to me, and by so doing they talked themselves right out of a party. i gave them plenty of homework for their vacation. one girl even did it. but this time the party was for me, and even if they hadn't been cooperative, i would have had the party myself. in any event, it went quite well, getting together with other classes and mostly playing games--that involved English speaking, of course.

i had wanted to put the pictures of my Basic Reading class up, being my favorite class to teach. they are anywhere from seven to nine years old and are mostly very good. they brought the best food, and by far the most (i'm starting to think that this site should be called thefoodfather). anyway i will get a picture of them up as soon as technological conditions permit.

i had a fun day, thanks to the kids and thanks to my colleagues, who made me a cake and decorated the place for me; and to those of you who called or sent gifts, thejayfather says xie xie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Dr. Ball

From your friends on 5800